Friday, August 21, 2009

Coffee, Tea or both?


I love drinking tea and coffee and nothing could replace the moments I enjoy with these two drinks. I don’t just drink them to get that caffeine or sugar high (though I admit I am addicted to both things- I am after all drug dependent), but I drink them because they often taste good and they let me think and contemplate on so many things. They are two of my friends who have different personalities but nonetheless I keep them not for the sake of variety but for company. I sometimes even wish that the boring and obnoxious people I meet and encounter every day would transform into a warm cup of tea or coffee- not only would that make the world a little more beautiful but it would also increase their usefulness. These two drinks contribute more to the world than the lousy existence of some people; some people are just better off boiled or placed in a very warm cup of water to make good use of them.  I bet if that happens, the Philippines would be the number one exporter of coffee and tea and we wouldn't be living in this third world country.

 

Okay, I will control myself and I will stop ranting about other people and instead pay homage to god's gift to mankind.

 

Tea gives you a very strong sense of calmness and serenity which almost brings you to the level of nirvana, which is probably why the Japanese hold it as an important part of their lives. When I drink tea, it almost gives me a glimpse of that promised paradise at least in my tongue that is. It gives me space to introspect, look within myself and clear my mind of the clutter this pathetic mortal life brings.

 

Coffee on the other hand gives me quite a different feel. Coffee gives me a vibrant spirit, a youthful energy and a perkiness that is palpable. It fills my mind with so many ideas, questions and answers to things I never thought of before.

 

I wouldn’t really say that coffee gives me sensations that are diametrically opposite to tea since I don’t think one is the antithesis of the other. As Slavoj Zizek would put it, they are simply two ways to look at the same coin; two ways to interpret the same world; two different meanings to the same existence. So here I am, always in the hunt to try out new teas or new coffee beans from different places around the world and within the country. I consider it a cheap way to travel. When I drink my tea or coffee I only have three rules. One is to drink it hot. Two, is to make the drink my own. Three, is to take time to savor every moment. So if you have time and a couple of bucks to spare, don’t hesitate to buy that cup of tea or coffee- may it be from one of those commercialized shops or that friendly neighborhood shop you don't pay attention to. And if want to have a pleasant (or an amazing) chat with me over a cup of warm hot coffee or tea (your pick), feel free to invite me. :-)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment